Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Tribute to Amy Johnson


On this day,
Amy,
Shire blood flowing
in your veins,
you -
moth-borne -
flew
half-way around the globe.
Not yet thirty years
from birth,
you knew,
your Yorkshire lass roots -
grounding you always -
would let you fly
beyond your northern sky
to other worlds,
other places,
new smiles
on new faces...
Today,
More years behind me
than you were allowed,
I too find my wings.
My roots -
deep in your Yorkshire soil,
straddling England
to sink for generations into London -
allow my branches to reach high
and the birds of my thoughts to fly
further,
higher,
dancing with your gipsy-moth soul
that calls dry,
North-of-England confirmations
that your precedent
flings freedom
to the four corners of my world
and spins it
to a multi-coloured globe.
~Ruth Calder Murphy

http://www.ruthcaldermurphy.com
Picture: Amy Johnson - British Pilot (1 July 1903 – 5 January 1941)

No comments:

Post a Comment